The purpose of this Listing is to provide what information we have to date on Stratton Mill. A look at the map attached may well surprise many readers as to where it was located being within the Greenbridge Retail Park. However, a careful look at later 19th century and early 20th century maps will show the water course that flowed through the site and it is that source of power that the millers needed.
The earliest knowledge we have of the mill comes from within the newspaper, The Reading Mercury & Oxford Gazette, dated Saturday, 19th October, 1867. It provides the information that the mill owner at the time was Samuel Miller who had the irksome task of retrieving one of his employees who had decided to steal money belonging to the mill and drink it away at a public house in Shrivenham.
At this time, the mill would have been powered by water supplied by the River Cole that still flows through the site today but much managed by the retail park structure. It is highly likely that a mill had been sited on this spot for many years earlier, but as yet, we have no information to confirm it. An advertisement that appeared in the Swindon Advertiser and North Wilts Chronicle on Saturday 1st March, 1890, stated that the mill had been purchased by Albert and Edward Hayes, trading as, Frogley & Deacon and that it was to be powered by steam.
Business seemed to be doing well in the subsequent years after converting to steam. Articles appeared in the local newspaper informing of the company's success in winning contracts. However, by 1894 they are advertising for a General Miller and Engine Driver and at the end of that year they are offering the business either to let or for sale.
From this point onwards we have very little information. Printed in the Bath Chronicle & Weekly Gazette for Thurs 12 Oct, 1911, there is an advertisement for a, 'Miller for a Country Mill & Corn Store, Stratton,' but from that point onwards there is no more listings in the newspapers. We do know that in the 1950s and 60s there was a Slaughterhouse and Yard on the same site.
If anyone has any further information on this mill, especially any photographs, please contact us on email@example.com.
We are always on the look-out for more information about Shrivenham and district. If you have old photos, know of historical facts, old documents (especially deeds) please contact us...
If you would like to view any item please visit the centre on Tuesdays & Thursdays between 10 am - 12 noon. We can also open outside of these hours with prior arrangement.