History from 1879 to 1965.
Description of Grade II listed building as recorded by NMR in 1996 is:
LB Grade II*
Includes a post card addressed to Mrs Wilson at Bishopstone from E. Wood
Grid Reference SU 2404 8897
DATE AND CLASSIFICATION OF SITE
POST MEDIEVAL 1700...1800 MONUMENT TYPE HOUSE
Elm Tree House (NAT). (1)
1. SHRIVENHAM HIGH STREET (north side) Elm Tree House II GV
2. Circa 1700 addition to an earlier house of rubble stone and dressed stone chamfered quoins and dressed stone openings with a hipped stone tiled roof with lead ridges and 2 tall side brick stacks. E shaped plan with the staircase well in theshorter, middle arm. S front of 2 storeys and attic, 5 window range. 2 pedimented dormers with 8 pane easements in the roof, the remaining windows 4 light wood mullioned and transomed, those on the ground floor slightly larger. Wooden modillion cornice and sheltering the centrally placed 6 panel door with 2 rectangular fanlights is an open circa 1780 Tuscan Doric porch with entablature, triglyph frieze and modillion cornice. 1 storey wing to the E set back, of rubble stone with a gabled stone tiled roof and C20 casement and door. A further 1 storey wing of brick projects to the E. The rear of the house is stuccoed and has further wood mullioned and transomed windows and an oval light to the staircase well. The W wall has 4 blocked windows in the circa 1700 section and 4 casements in brick surrounds in the earlier section. Inside the ground floor room on the SW preserves a complete bolection moulded panelled scheme of circa 1700 and the SE room across the central passage has similar panelling scheme of circa 1700 and the SE room across the central passage has similar panelling to dado level along its N and W walls. Both doors to these rooms are of the same date. The cantilevered staircase is also of the period with a moulded handrail, twisted balusters and carved tread ends. In the front garden there is an early C19 cast iron pump. A 5 ft chequer brick wall on a stone base with a dressed stone coping runs along the S front. To the E this has been partially rebuilt. (2)
1 O.S. 1:2500 1978
2 DoE(HHR) . Dist. of Vale of White Horse, Oxford Oct. 1983 19
Please also see record N406 for more photos
We are always on the look-out for more information about Shrivenham and district. If you have old photos, know of historical facts, old documents (especially deeds) please contact us...
If you would like to view any item please visit the centre on Tuesdays & Thursdays between 10 am - 12 noon. We can also open outside of these hours with prior arrangement.